Dr Richard Gill and Dr Andrew Drake are the approved doctors for the Maritime Coastguard Agency (MCA) and can perform medicals for those that wish to obtain or renew their ENG1 Fit to Sail certificate. He can also assess seafarers for the MCA ML5 medical.
To arrange an appointment, please speak to one of our receptionists on 02392 310 151.
What does the medical involve?
The doctor will go through your medical history and provides a physical examination, including height, weight, blood pressure, sight and hearing test. You will be asked to provide a sample of urine for testing.
Dr Gill and Dr Drake are male doctors, if you would like a female chaperone present during the examination please inform the receptionist at the time of booking.
The fee for an ENG 1 is £115 and the fee for an ML5 medical is £110. We ask to take the full payment prior to the appointment – this can be paid over the phone via card or you can visit our reception prior to your medical and pay with cash, or card, or cheque payable to Drayton Medical Services Limited
What to bring with you:
- Previous ENG 1 Medical certificate, unless a new applicant.
- Photographic ID – either passport, driving license or Seafarers discharge book.
- If you take any medication or under hospital treatment you will need to bring the details.
- Glasses/contact lenses if worn including spares. Please remove any contact lenses 24 hours before your appointment so that your eyes are settled for an unaided visual acuity test.
- Medical reports and letters, discharge notes, sight test results etc which relate to medical treatment since the last medical.
- 16 hours before your appointment you will need to avoid loud noises as there is a hearing assessment.