New Starter Medical
Assessing a person’s ability to carry out the duties of the job can be an important selection tool. New Starter Medical checks should be seen as a way of:
- Identifying any risks to prospective employees, colleagues or clients.
- Identifying any support needed by the prospective employee to do the job effectively.
- Identifying any disability issues such as potential reasonable adjustments.
- Identifying any potential attendance problems.
- Providing a base-line of health for future reference.
- Workplace occupational health.
- Making the best use of occupational health Physicians.
The level of check can take various forms, from verifying the number of day’s absence with the previous employer to requiring the employee to undergo a thorough medical examination. The type of check that is undertaken should depend upon the requirements of the job.